- Ordained minister
Linda has been working at Excel for over 10 years now, and is happy that 2 of her 4 grandchildren attend school here. She is passionate about Jesus and worship, and she attends Reno Assembly of God. Her favorite Bible passage is Ephesians 1:3-8. She has been happily married to her husband Michael for 42 years, and together they have 3 grown children. Linda enjoys reading, hiking, and golfing in her free time. Being at Excel allows her to fulfill God’s calling on her life through worship and teaching, and she loves being able to teach His Word to the students. It’s a blessing to see them grow in their faith and step into the call that God has for them.
- B.A. English, with a minor in History
- Association of Christian Schools International Secondary Teacher Certification in English and History
- California State Teaching License
- Oregon State Teaching License
- Washington State Teaching License
- Nevada State Teaching License
Shirley joined our Excel family in August of 2015. She has been happily married to her husband David for 29 years, and together they have three grown children. In addition to teaching, Shirley oversees the student leadership which means that most of the fun activities like dances, spirit weeks, and school-wide events are under her watchful eye. She attends St. Luke’s Lutheran Church and her favorite Bible verse is Prov. 3:5-6. In her free time, Shirley enjoys reading, walking and traveling. She loves working at Excel because it’s like a family and she gets to teach her students about God.
- A.A. English and Criminal Justice
- B.A. Criminal Justice with a minor in English
- M.A. in progress in Secondary Education
- Association of Christian Schools International Secondary Teacher Certification in English
Jackie first came to Excel in 2013 as a mom enrolling her own children, but it wasn’t long before we talked her into joining our staff. She has been happily married to her husband Jeff for 23 years, and together they have 5 children and 2 grandchildren. Her favorite Bible verses are Romans 12: 6-13. She attends Grace Community Church. Jackie loves teaching at Excel because it’s a family, and it’s a place where she can bring God freely into any conversation or lesson.
- B.S. Elementary and Special Education
- Trained in Robotics by RAN, the Robotics Academy of Nevada
- Nevada State Teacher License Qualified
- Association of Christian Schools International Elementary Teacher Certification
Juliana Fehr is an Excel Christian School alumnus, and after graduating from UNR, she returned to teach for us. She has been teaching here since 2013. She has two cats that are named Gnome and Wade. Juliana attends Living Waters Christian Fellowship and her favorite Bible verse is Psalm 139:13-18. When asked what she loved about working at Excel, Juliana stated, “Friendly staff.”
Hi! My name is Ellen Glavin. My admiration for Excel began with my husband. He is an Excel Alumni that graduated in 2006. Excel helped add to the foundation of my husband’s faith in the Lord. When our son reached the age of kindergarten, it was a unanimous decision to have him attend Excel. After just one year of our son attending this school, I realized all the amazing things God is doing here. I knew I wanted to be a part of it, too! After much prayer and seeking the Lord, He led me to go into education.
My education career began here in 2016. As a new teacher, I have much to learn! I consider myself someone who takes constructive criticism well and enjoys utilizing my problem-solving skills. I am blessed to have so many here that are willing to help this new teacher grow and learn!
- Association of Christian Schools International Waiver to Teach in the Arts Department
David has been a part-time employee at Excel for over 12 years. He’s part-time because he’s a true entertainer with decades of stage experience. David has been happily married to his wife Karen for almost 33 years, and together they have two grown children. He attends Outlook Christian Church and his favorite Bible verse is Philippians 4:13. When David isn’t on a stage or at school, he enjoys busking (street entertaining) and bringing joy and happiness to people. He is a variety musician who plays the alto saxophone, trumpet, clarinet, trombone, piano, drums, guitar, mandolin, and banjo. Why he is at Excel: “I love inspiring and motivating the young people to find their talents and develop them!”
- B.S Education
- Nevada State Teacher License
- Association of Christian Schools International All-Levels Physical Education certified
- U.S.P.T.A Tennis Teaching Certification
Mark has been a P.E. teacher at Excel since 2012, and has over 26 years of teaching experience. He has been happily married to his wife Bonnie for 6 years. They have 2 children and a cat. Mark attends Summit Christian Church and his favorite Bible verse is Jeremiah 29:11. He enjoys exercising at the gym, hiking and playing drums for a worship band named “Manna.” Why does Mark love working at Excel? “I love teaching the students about the Lord and praying with them. I love our staff and administration; they are always so helpful. Teaching physical education to our students and helping them to understand how to keep their bodies healthy is one of my passions.”
- A.A. Arts & Science
- B.A. Communications & Sociology
- Association of Christian Schools International Athletic Director Certification
Bobby came to us with 3 years of experience in education. He was formerly a Personal trainer/JAG instructor for the Washoe County School District. He also started his own basketball program, More to the Game, and has run basketball skills camps in various parts of the west. Bobby played college basketball for Illinois State and was part of the NAIA D2 National Champion team. He has a giant ring to prove it! His favorite Bible verse is Matthew 19:26 and he and his family are currently looking for a church home. Bobby and his wife Allison have been happily married for 6 years. He enjoys spending time with their daughter Nye who is in the PreK program at Excel, and he also enjoys hiking. Why does he like Excel? He loves the family environment, and looks forward to building a strong athletic program. Welcome to Excel, Bobby!
- B.S. English Education with a History Education minor
- M.S. Secondary Education–all subjects
- Association of Christian Schools International Secondary Teacher English History Certification
Suzanna first came to Excel mid-year in 2020 as a part-time substitute, but it wasn’t long before we realized what an asset she would be as a full-time employee. She has three grown children and one who is a senior this year at Excel. Suzanna brought nineteen years of experience in teaching, some at the college level and some as a homeschool teacher. Suzanna attends Calvary Baptist Church, Reno, where she heads the music team; and her favorite Bible verse is Psalm 73:25-26. When she’s not teaching, Suzanna enjoys glassing and hunting rural Nevada, playing keyboard, and spending time with her family.
- A.A. Secondary Education
- B.S. Secondary Education (in process)
Sgt. Kovac is a Marine veteran who served 4 years. He is new to Excel this year; he came to help us re-start our CJROTC program. He attends Aposento Alto Church and his favorite Bible verse is Galatians 2:20. Fabian enjoys fitness and working out at the gym. He loves the friendly work environment at Excel. Welcome to Excel, Fabian!
- B.S. Landscape Architecture
- Association of Christian School International Secondary Teacher Certification
- Licensed Landscape Architect in Nevada and California
- Certified in Sustainable SITES and erosion and sediment control
Dan grew up in the Mojave Desert where he learned from a young age the wonder of the outdoors. He has a passion for taking groups of all ages into the natural environment to experience life in a way they might not have otherwise. He brings with him decades of experience in teaching others about the environment, and he still teaches occasionally at TMCC. He was married to his wife for 37 and ½ years before the Lord called her home to Heaven, and he has one son who is a financial analyst in Las Vegas. Dan attends the Sparks Foursquare Church and his favorite Bible verses are Ephesians 3:20 and Philippians 4:8 which help him to see the beauty in this world and remind him that this is not our final home. He finds great personal enjoyment outdoors in all seasons by foot, bike, paddle, and ski. He enjoys Excel because he enjoys adding to the lives of his students.
- B.S. Civil/Environmental Engineering
- M.S. Math Education
- Association of Christian Schools International Secondary Teacher Certification in Mathematics
- Nevada State Teacher License Qualified
Dave Ryan serves as the middle and high school assistant principal and teaches high school chemistry and math. He has been working in education for 18 years. Dave has been married to his beautiful bride Fran for 24 years and together they have 1 teenager and 2 grown children. He attends Summit Christian Church and his favorite Bible verse is Philippians 2:3-8. Dave shared that he loves working with the Godly, humble servants God has brought to Excel’s staff. He loves being a part of what God is doing in our students as they grow in the truth and knowledge of Jesus.
- A.A. Liberal Arts/American Sign Language
- B.A. Psychology with a minor in Developmental Disabilities
- M.A. Counseling and Educational Psychology, Marriage and Family Therapy
- National Certified Counselor (NCC), National Board for Certified Counselors
- Association of Christian Schools International School Counselor Certification
Tracy Smith has been working at Excel since 2016 and in the human services field for 28 years. She has been happily married to her amazing husband Sean for 19 years. They have 1 son, 2 dogs and a cat. Tracy attends Outlook Christian Church and her favorite Bible verse is Romans 8:38-39. She enjoys hanging out with her family and friends, reading, and traveling. Tracy loves working at Excel because she gets to love on the kids and share the saving grace of Jesus Christ with the next generation.
- B.A. Education; Spanish & English
- Nevada State Teacher License Qualified
- Association of Christian Schools International Secondary English & Spanish Teacher Certification
April Sovey has been teaching for Excel since 2013. She has been an educator for 11 years. She has one child and some sea monkeys. April attends Horizon Christian Church and her favorite Bible verse is Psalm 16: 5-11. She enjoys camping, hiking, cooking, and reading both prose and poetry. When asked what she loved about working at Excel, April stated, “It’s a family atmosphere centered in Christ.”
LPN Licensed Practical Nurse
Association of Christian Schools International Waiver to Teach Health
Vickie has been involved at Excel since 2013, when Legacy Christian School merged with Excel. She started here as our school nurse, but it wasn’t long before she was teaching Health and other electives. She was pulled into teaching English and Speech and Debate when the administration noticed her strong writing skills and her love for literature. Vickie has been happily married to her husband Ted for 23 years, and together they share 4 children, 3 of whom are grown and 1 who is a senior this year at Excel. She attends Harvest Family Fellowship and her favorite Bible verse is Proverbs 11:27. She enjoys needle crafting, genealogy and reading. The best part about being at Excel for her is the kids!
- B.A. History
- M.A. Education: Instructional & Curricular Studies
- Association of Christian Schools International Math and History Secondary Teacher Certification
- State of Nevada Teaching License – Highly Qualified Status for Math with Calculus and US & World History
Tiffany retired from the school district in 2019 and joined our Excel family of teachers. She has been happily married for 19 years to her husband Stacy, and together they have 1 son who is a senior at Excel this year. She attends Summit Christian Church and her favorite Bible verse is John 3:16. She enjoys teaching at Excel because of the smaller classes which in turn leads to getting to know her students better.